Miraz Light At Work Photography




Tut Tuesday - Converting to Black and White

Hurrah for Tuesday as I post my first tutorial ! I will show you a super quick and extremely easy way to convert a picture to black and white. Now, I don't always use this because I feel that the image this technique yields lacks hues and seems pretty flat. However for a newbie, this is a quick and easy technique.
Lets start off with this picture


These flowers are cilantro flowers. Yes those tiny little things. I took this picture with my zoom filter attached to my 18 to 55 mm lens since, obviously, I don't have a zoom lens. Yet. So here's your easy solution. You can do this in either Gimp or PSE. I'm going to show you screenshots with PSE. On the bottom of your layers dialog, select Adjustments (the half black half white circle and choose Hue/Saturation. Like so

This will add a Hue Saturation Layer and will open the Adjustments Dialog

Slide the saturation slider all the way over to the left. You can then adjust the Lightness slider to your desired value. Try adjusting the Hue slider however and you'll notice it does not make much of a difference. As I said, this method doesn't really allow for various hues / shades of gray. There is however another method, and I prefer that method over this. For a picture that requires a super quick B&W fix, this does the trick. The upside? It comes with a layer mask ! So if you like selective coloring, you could mask the B&W hue saturation adjustment layer in those places to get it ! New to selective coloring? Stay tuned. We'll cover it in this Lazy Friday's session. Trust me, it'll be easy breezy.

As for the final image for the B& W conversion, here's what I got.


We'll cover the other black and white conversion method in another post. I'll let you decide which one works better - we'll compare the final result for both.

0 comments:

Post a Comment